Ballin on a budget
For the munchies:
- Fried rice, crispy duck and green curry, anyone? Thai Café is your best bet if you’re craving Asian food; this Thai restaurant is perfect if you’re looking for a place with a huge selection in terms of menu options and bar facilities. Check it out … the prices definitely suit our pocket. (Approx. R200 for two people)
137 Greenway, Greenside. Details: 011-646-9000
- A hidden gem with all the trimmings of a Mexican café, Mama Mexicana is a dream if you’re in the mood for something spicy. You get to choose from a collection of favourites – think Nachos, Burritos and poppers … then wash it all down with a margherita! You’d better hurry to this spot soon. (Approx. R170 for two people)
Arts on Main, 264 Fox Street, Johannesburg. Details: 011-334-1982
- Instead of doing the same old thing on a Saturday afternoon, rather educate yourself while having the time of your life. Find out about the political and economic history behind South African Breweries at the SAB World of Beer After the tour you can indulge in a beer tasting that’s included in the ticket price, or just soak in the amazing view of Newtown from the tap room. (Bookings are essential – tickets are R105 for students)
15 Helen Joseph Street (formerly President Street) Newtown. Details: 011-836-4900 or www.worldofbeer.co.za
- It is said that laughter is the best medicine, yes? So check out Kitcheners Comedy Night every Tuesday night. There has literally never been a cheaper way to enjoy stand-up comedy. The beauty of it is that you can enjoy it all with a stiff drink in hand!
Corner Juta and De Beer Street, Braamfontein. Details: 011-403-0166
A cheapskates dream
- The fact that a factory store for Forever New exists is enough good news to last a lifetime! Not all of us can afford to spend R1000 for one item of clothing, but here, you can get all your fave items for a fraction of the price. All the merchandise is brand new too! Seriously???
Woodmead Value Mart, Corner Waterval Crescent and Woodlands Drive. Details: 011-656-6788
- Grab a bargain and give to charity at the same time! At Parkmore HospiceWits Charity Shop, you can choose from a selection of new and pre-loved items in a good condition – think furniture, books, clothing, children’s items, accessories, magazines, decor items, artwork, electronic goods, music, footwear, toys, bags. What a great way to save and give back!
Corner 11th and Elizabeth Avenues, Benmore. Details: 011-883-7242
Get It Joburg North Campus September 2016