Downtime with Daniel Buys
- Priscilla Queen of the Desert seems like a fun show to do … what was your favourite part of the experience?
Well the experience is not over yet so we’ll see. So far I’ve loved all the crazy outfits and playing a character so unlike myself.
- What was the most challenging part?
I’m still trying to overcome the hardest part of it … being a convincing drag queen!
- What was it like working with David Dennis and Phillip Schnetler?
David and Philip are amazing. David is lovely to play across from, he is a very generous actor and it’s great to watch him and learn. Phil is a wonderful talent and a great energy to have around – he is kind and always enthusiastic!
- The costumes are indeed glam and colourful – which one of yours was the most entertaining to wear?
I love my final dress just before the end. It’s very glamorous! My opening dress is also a riot but I won’t let the cat out of the bag … come and watch.
- When you’re not playing the role of Tick/Mitzi, where are we most likely to find you in Joburg?
At the moment I seem to float around the country. Working in Cape Town and Jozi and having a wife from Durbs keeps me quite nomadic but Taryn-Lee and I love to eat out so there are a number of restaurants we frequent. Big Mouth in Sandton City is good one.
- Been to any other great restaurants lately?
It’s simple but I recently had a hot pastrami bagel with mustard and pickles, washed down with a spicy bloody Mary at Kleinsky’s in Sea Point. It was DELICIOUS!
- After a long day of rehearsals, how do you unwind?
Food, beer … and more food!