ALL GOLD-Style Lamb Curry
100 g butter
3 onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1 knob ginger, finely chopped
2 cans (410g) ALL GOLD Chopped Tomatoes
15 ml (3 tsps) salt
15 ml (3 tsps) turmeric
5 ml (1 tsp) chilli powder
15 ml (3 tsp) ground cumin
15 ml (3 tsp) ground coriander
45 ml (3 tbsp) curry paste
65 ml (¼ cup) ALL GOLD Peach Jam
1 kg stewing lamb
500 ml (2 cups) water
2 green chillies, seeded and chopped
6 curry leaves
45ml (3 tablespoons) chopped fresh coriander
10ml (2 teaspoons) garam masala
Roti or rice to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Melt butter in a heavy base frying pan and sauté onions until lightly browned and caramelised. (Don’t rush this step, it’s important.) Remove caramelised onions and set aside.
- Combine garlic, ginger, tomatoes, salt and all the spices in a food processor, blend together to form a coarse paste.
- Brown the lamb in the same saucepan in which the onions were cooked, add a bit of oil if necessary. Remove and place in a casserole dish.
- Add the spicy tomato paste, caramelised onions, water, chillies and curry leaves. Cover and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven. Check seasoning, stir in fresh coriander and garam masala.
- Serve over rice or with roti, with sambals, sliced banana and coconut.
Recipe courtesy of www.allgold.co.za